So I didn't really make it to the Olympics this year. I was sad to miss them but it would have been crazy. I was in China during some of the Olympics which was fun in itself. However, I was able to be a part of my university here's Sports Meet. Every university in China has a sports meet once a year. Pretty much like it sounds, there are just a bunch of sports competitions I guess. This year was my first time to participate.
The university I am studying Chinese at invited all of the foreign students to come to the Opening Ceremony for their sports meet. So, one chilly Sunday morning we arrive at 7.30 AM and meet up with all the other foreign students (some even dressed up in their country's traditional clothing which was really cool). We all walk over to the sports field together and wait for about a half an hour as we see students coming into the stadium and students marching in step with their departments. They were all wearing matching clothing and in step and looking to together-no wonder China did such an awesome job at the Opening Ceremony! We all felt pretty funny because we all showed up in hoodies and jeans and just wandered in to the stadium!
When it was finally our turn to walk in we came in with balloons and small gifts to throw into the crowd (like candy at a parade). Everyone was waving at us as we walk around the track and then onto the grass field. We actually felt like real famous athletes-it was awesome. When we got onto the field and lined up in lines of two they marched in the flags of the school and China's flag. We then listened to China's national song (and one of our classmates sang along wonderfully as he had learned it) and then the university's song. (Made me think about the one time we sang JBU's song while in college. Schools just don't get as into school songs as they used to!)
After listening to a few short speeches we were set free to go our own ways as they continued with more speeches and who knows what else. I then went with a few friends to get breakfast (this great breakfast of this pita-like bread with veggies, egg, meat and some sauce inside) and sit outside, enjoy the day, and talk about language, US politics and work being done around the world. A good morning in China.
1 comment:
sounds like fun!
Post a Comment