September 4, 2008

Cell phones-can't live without them

Though China may be behind America in some areas, they are not in the area of cell phones. In China, you can't really live with out them. Though we have land lines, it is cell phones that I really use the most. Unlike America though, people text more than they call people. Texting usually comes as part of your "plan" while calling is charged per minute.

Today I learned something else about cell phones in China-you can't work out without them either! A few of my classmates and I joined a gym here in Changchun. Today, as I was doing a bit of a cool down on a bike, i look to my left and right and see a Chinese woman and man biking as well. Curious as always, I look at what kind of work out they are doing. They are on the basic level one going at about 20 rotations per minute. I think, hmm, that sounds slow and look at mine which is about 80. Then I realize why theirs is so slow. They are just texting away. Not just a short message but merely sitting there texting and reading on their phones. I guess I never got the memo that you should bring your phone to the bike. I better put away my Chinese flash cards and get out mine! This is just one of the things I love about Chinese gyms-I'm sure much more will come later about my gym experiences!

No comments: