(my first time to experience an EARTHQUAKE!)
Today I experienced my first earthquake. I was sitting talking about the meaning of 因此 when all of a sudden i felt like someone dropped something super heavy on my floor then the whole apartment seemed to be shaking! It only lasted about 3 or so seconds but we were both a little shaken up about it. I asked my tutor what that was and she said there was no way it was an earthquake because they don't have earthquakes in the NE of China. We then hear dogs barking and people in my stairwell talking/yelling. I called my downstairs neighbor who also felt it and she said it must be either an earthquake or big explosion. (you should have seen me try to explain "explosion" in Chinese. My tutor thought I was describing a volcano and looked at my like I was crazy thinking a volcano went off in Changchun.) We thought maybe it was just our building. We then start hearing that people all over the city felt it!
Because I live on the 7th floor, the movement was bigger than people lower and my neighbor told me I should get out of the building. After thinking about the fact that my building is not the newest building, my tutor and I finally decide to end 15 minutes early and leave the building! I shopped around then went to my friend's house to hang out for a while (she lives on the 2nd floor-I felt more safe there for some reason. However thinking back, I don't know if that is actually safer-more floors to fall on top of you.) My friend (who went to college in CA) was not impressed and told me it was not a big earthquake (I had no idea I just thought it was scary!). We looked it up and found out it was actually a 5.1 earthquake off the coast of Japan (supposedly felt like a 2.0 here in Changchun). Anyways, all that to say, I survived my first earthquake! It definitely got a lot of people nervous though and I heard all the students in universities all left the buildings and were just wandering outside their campus. After last spring, they have good reason. Another good reminder to continue to remember the rebuilding and mourning of loss from last year's Sichuan earthquake in China.
To read about my earthquake, check out.... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009ekaf.php#details
Today I experienced my first earthquake. I was sitting talking about the meaning of 因此 when all of a sudden i felt like someone dropped something super heavy on my floor then the whole apartment seemed to be shaking! It only lasted about 3 or so seconds but we were both a little shaken up about it. I asked my tutor what that was and she said there was no way it was an earthquake because they don't have earthquakes in the NE of China. We then hear dogs barking and people in my stairwell talking/yelling. I called my downstairs neighbor who also felt it and she said it must be either an earthquake or big explosion. (you should have seen me try to explain "explosion" in Chinese. My tutor thought I was describing a volcano and looked at my like I was crazy thinking a volcano went off in Changchun.) We thought maybe it was just our building. We then start hearing that people all over the city felt it!
Because I live on the 7th floor, the movement was bigger than people lower and my neighbor told me I should get out of the building. After thinking about the fact that my building is not the newest building, my tutor and I finally decide to end 15 minutes early and leave the building! I shopped around then went to my friend's house to hang out for a while (she lives on the 2nd floor-I felt more safe there for some reason. However thinking back, I don't know if that is actually safer-more floors to fall on top of you.) My friend (who went to college in CA) was not impressed and told me it was not a big earthquake (I had no idea I just thought it was scary!). We looked it up and found out it was actually a 5.1 earthquake off the coast of Japan (supposedly felt like a 2.0 here in Changchun). Anyways, all that to say, I survived my first earthquake! It definitely got a lot of people nervous though and I heard all the students in universities all left the buildings and were just wandering outside their campus. After last spring, they have good reason. Another good reminder to continue to remember the rebuilding and mourning of loss from last year's Sichuan earthquake in China.
To read about my earthquake, check out.... http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009ekaf.php#details
1 comment:
so scary, megs. tell your california friends that any earthquake to a midwesterner is a big deal
Post a Comment